OES International School, Vashi organized a workshop for the parents on 1st August, 2015. Today, with the mushrooming of ‘Junk Food Centers’ in Navi Mumbai, it is a growing concern to give all the importance to healthy nutrition for children. The resource person who interacted with the parents was Dr. Swati Bhushan, The HOD of Dietetics and Nutrition of Fortis Hospital, Vashi. She emphasized on the following:
A healthy diet helps children grow and learn. It also helps prevent to obesity and weight-related diseases, such as diabetes. To give your child a nutritious diet
- Make half of what is on your child’s plate fruits and vegetables
- Choose healthy sources of protein, such as lean meat, nuts, and eggs
- Serve whole-grain breads and cereals because they are high in fiber. Reduce refined grains.
- Broil, grill, or steam foods instead of frying them
- Limit fast food and junk food
- Offer water or milk instead of sugary fruit drinks and sodas
Learn about your children’s nutrient requirements. Some of them, such as iron and calcium, change as your child ages.