Diwali or Deepavali is one of the biggest Indian festivals celebrated across the country. It is believed that on Diwali day Lord Ram came to Ayodhya after 14 years of exile. Diwali is known as the ‘Festival of Lights’. This festival is traditionally celebrated by lighting diyas (earthen lamps) and candles around the house, bursting fire crackers and sparklers, wearing new clothes, eating sweets and other mouthwatering dishes, praying to Gods and Godesses and sending wishes and gifts. It is celebrated generally in the months of October or November.
This year it is on Sunday, 30th October. Lighting fireworks during Diwali is a tradition that has been followed in our country since years. And all the colourful firework boxes are ready on display and for sale. Fireworks are amazing and are beautiful to watch. These large explosions that fill the beautiful night sky are both scary and thrilling. They are probably no safer today than they were decades ago. Everyone loves watching a display of fireworks, but there is a debate about whether fireworks should be banned or not.
People should understand that there are some rules and regulations that we need to follow while lighting fireworks. But it is sad that these rules are not followed and hence they lead to severe injuries and sometimes the consequences are very lethal. We don’t need loud explosions. There are the elderly and sick who need to rest after a certain hour. The colours are fun enough. It’s great to watch a fountain or pin wheel being lit, but it’s a disaster when you hear those loud bombs go boom!
Ask people who own pets; how disturbing it is to them. Pet and animal owners struggle to keep their animals safe during this period. Animals have sensitive ears and can be extremely frightened or stressed. It’s best to keep pets indoors to reduce the risk that they’ll run loose or get injured. We are not only causing noise pollution, but also air pollution; which is no doubt harmful for everyone.
As it is a tradition that we have all grown up with, fireworks should not be completely banned, but definitely limited. Children do feel very happy lighting them, but it is important to understand that certain safety measures are very important to be taken.
It is important to designate a time limit and certain space to light them.
Certain rules that we must follow while lighting fireworks are:
- Never let children handle, play with, or light any ¬fireworks
- Things like firecrackers, rockets, and sparklers are just too dangerous. If you give children sparklers, make sure they keep them away from their face, clothing, and hair
- Store ¬fireworks in a cool, dry place out of children’s reach
- Always purchase your ¬fireworks from licensed ¬dealers
- Use a clear, open area
- Never attempt to re-light any ¬fireworks
- Have an extinguisher, water supply, hose, or bucket of water nearby
- Be cautious of lighting any ¬fireworks during strong wind conditions
- If a child is injured by fireworks, immediately go to a doctor or hospital
- If an eye injury occurs, do not allow your child to touch or rub it, as this may cause even more damage
- Also, don’t flush the eye out with water or attempt to put any ointment on it. Instead, cut out the bottom of a paper cup, place it around the eye, and immediately seek medical attention
- If it’s a burn, remove clothing from the burned area and run cool, not cold, water over the burn (do not use ice)
- Get in contact with your doctor immediately
Fireworks are meant to be enjoyed, but you’ll enjoy them much more knowing your family is safe.
Have a safe and wonderful Diwali!!