DATE: 16th January, 2017
SUBJECT: COMPUTATIONAL THINKING –A life skill for the 21st century.
VENUE : SEA PRINCESS HOTEL, SANTACRUZ (WEST),MUMBAI.
DATE CONDUCTED ON: 12thJanuary, 2017 TIME: 2.00 P.M -4.30 P.M.
TEACHER REPRESENTED ON BEHALF OF OES INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, VASHI. 1. MS. VANDANA K. PRASAD
The Resource persons for the workshop were :
- MR.ROD SMITH, Global Managing Director, Cambridge University Press and the Cambridge Team was assisted by Mr. Manish Bagul from the Cambridge University Press, who is the Sales Manager-International School and Ms. Krishna Ray, from the Cambridge University Press, who is the National Sales Manager for India.
- Academic Talk by DR.MUKUND MADHAVAN,A Professor and Dean of Studies at Chennai Mathematical Institute. His administrative responsibilities include :
- President and Member, Executive Council, Indian Association for Research in Computing Science (IARCS).
- President, ACM India Council.
- National Co-ordinator, Indian Computing Olympiad.
- MR.RATNESH JHA, Managing Director, Cambridge University Press.
- MR.R.VENKATESH, a chief Scientist with TCS Research.
- He heads their Verification and Validation Program.
- Head of the ACM India Education Committee.
- As a part of ACM he has initiated CS Pathshala ,a program that develops curriculum and content to teach computational thinking in schools and
- Faculty development and curriculum development for undergraduates CS degrees.
- MR.VIPUL, a Principal Scientist with TCS Research. He heads CS Pathshala, the ACM India Education Initiative to teach computing as a science in schools.
- MRS. MUGDHA JOSHI, a teacher from Pune shared her experiences and gave her feedback on CS Pathshala.
The highlights were as follows:
- INTRODUCTION OF ACM INDIA:
- Association for Computing Machinery.
- World’s largest educational and scientific computing society.
- M.TuringAward : “Nobel Prize” in CS.
- ACM India Council setup in 2010.
- Aim to become the voice of CS in India.
- INTRODUCTION OF CS PATHSHALA:
- A program that develops curriculum for cases 1-8, helps in preparing lesson plans ,making activities and worksheets for teachers.
- Pilot projects of ACM(Association for Computing Machinery in India to bring COMPUTATIONAL THINKING to schools.
- Running in 12-15 schools in Pune from this year.
- Draws on material from CSTA(USA),CAS (UK),CS unplugged.org.
- CAMBRIDGE CODING SANDPIT:
- Cambridge University Press offering incorporating ideas from CS Pathshala.
- More than just a textbook.
- Hands on environment for immersive exposure to programming.
- It’s a learning solution powered by technology that aims to transform the computer science and ICT teaching and learning process with a single goal of facilitating development of THE COMPUTATIONALTHINKING AND SKILLS of the 21st century learning.
- I am thankful to the OES INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, VASHI Management who had given me an opportunity to attend the workshop and learn how to transform a teacher’s teaching of computer science into a computational thinking experience where children learn how to create and express themselves with the computer and not just interact with it.
- It was a fruitful and beneficial workshop session.